Friday, May 24, 2013

"See You Later"

"Never 'Goodbye' always 'See you later.'"  That is what my uncle told me every time I went to say goodbye after hanging out together.  "Never 'Goodbye' Amy. ALWAYS 'See you later.  Always."  I always liked when he said that, but I have never appreciated that saying as much as I do today.  Tomorrow, I am putting the rest of my boxes in the van, handing my keys over to my RA, saying goodbye to the girls who are still here, and drive off the campus as an official survivor of freshman year of college.  I have spent this week saying goodbye to friends, roommates, study buddies, partners in crime, and partners in prayer, and I just finished the hardest one yet. 

Just a few minutes ago, I said goodbye to one of my closest friends.  She will be living around the cities for the summer and I will be living five hours away in the middle of nowhere.  We planning on seeing each other a few times this summer.  But what is a few times when we have seen each other almost everyday for the last nine months? I have gotten closer to her in these last nine months then I thought humanly possible.  After the first month of school I knew that she would be a great friend.  Now I know that she will forever be one of my closets friends.  How can you say goodbye to someone like that?

I just helped her finish filling the car and waved as she drove away with her grandpa.  Now I am here, alone in my room, trying not to cry as I think of how much she means to me and how much I am going to miss her during the summer.  I knew this day was coming, and I thought I was ready, but now I know that sometimes you can never be ready to say goodbye. 

How can I say goodbye to a friend like that? 

I can't.

That's why it is not 'Goodbye' just  'See you later."

No comments:

Post a Comment